What is Pop Rivet?
Pop rivet is a strong, and lightweight fastener used to join metal using a hole. It is also called a blind rivet (Pop is named given by its original equipment manufacturer known as Stanley Black & Decker). These Pop rivets are using in an exchange of weld, screw, nut & bolt.
Pop rivets are for fastening two or more objects together where access to the backside of a workpiece is not possible. A blind rivet comes in various sizes. The size of a pop rivet is determined by the diameter and length of the rivet. The material of pop rivet is mostly dependents upon application.
Eg. Aluminium, steel, alloy steel.
Parts of pop rivet
Generally, the pop rivet is mainly dividing into two parts named rivet body and mandrel. The rivet body is also called the hat, and the mandrel is also called a stem.
Further, the Rivet body consists of the rivet pin and rivet head, and the mandrel is consists of the mandrel head and mandrel.
The rivet pin is the prime part of the rivet. It will be stuck in a hole of the workpiece where we have to fasten the workpiece.
The shape of the rivet is grooved, and multi-grip depending upon the type of rivet.
The rivet head is nothing but a stopper that is to stop the rivet pin from coming out from the hole which is riveted.
The rivet head will be dome-shaped, which will help to expand the rivet pin that will fasten the workpiece.
The mandrel is a large cylindrical body placed in a pop rivet gun. The pop rivet gun pulls the mandrel in the body of the rivet. Due to the deformation, the mandrel comes out.
Mandrel’s head expands the rivet pin because of extra force given by the rivet body causes two workpieces to fasten and joined together.
Types of blind rivet.
Depending upon the size and function of rivets, blind rivets are divides into the following types.
Standard Blind Rivet
Standard Blind Rivet is a common type of blind rivet which are using to fasten two workpieces.
These rivets having a domed shape head and mandrel. During the functioning, the mandrel part comes out from the whole body and the second head permanently fasten the workpiece. They are used in metal, containers, automotive, and furniture industries.
Sealed Blind Rivet
This rivet having a sealed end, and this does not contract on squeezing like other rivets. It does not allow to pass any liquid, which enhancing the security of the workpiece.
These types of rivets are used in the automotive, furniture, and HVAC industries.
Peeled Blind Rivet
Peeled blind rivets have a larger diameter as compare to standard rivets with locking heads.
As soon as, blind rivet gun squeezes the mandrel, locking or rivet head expands gradually forms a shape of 4 petals. This type of rivet is to fasten the softer material.
Grooved Blind Rivet
This type of rivet having grooves on the body of the rivet, which enhances gripping power. These rivets are suitable for the construction industry, such as cement, brick, wood, or plastic.
Multi-grip Blind rivet
Multi-grip is similar to a standard blind rivet. But the major difference is that it has multiple grooves on the body of the rivet, which gives strong gripping power.
This type of rivet is more useful in construction, home appliances, or the electrical industry.
Soft set blind rivet
Soft set blinding rivets are symmetrical to standard rivets. But this type of rivets (especially body and mandrel) are made up of softer material such as aluminum.
This type of rivets is serviceable in the furniture, packing, and plastic industry.
How to install a pop rivet & pop rivet gun?
- As per the application, select the suitable size of the blind rivet. It is possible by measuring the diameter of the rivet.
- Select the proper adapter of the blind rivet gun as per the diameter of the blind rivet. It can be done by test-fitting the rivet in each adapter.
- After the finalization of the adapter, remove this adapter & place it in the tip of the blind rivet gun.
- It can be done by unthreading & removing the adapter currently in use and install a new adapter in the tip of the blind rivet gun. It is by tightening the adapter against spring tension. They will take a fair amount of force to tighten. Do not crosshead the adapter while tightening. Place the removed adapter in the handle for safe storage.
- Once the correct adapter is installed, measure the size of the blind rivet to determine drill size.
- In this example, drill size is 3/16 inch, and place that 3/16-inch drill bit. Place the workpiece together very tightly and drill the whole throughout the workpiece to join together. Insert the pop rivet in the adapter fully and insert the pop rivet in the drilled hole. Squeeze the handle of the pop rivet gun tightly and release with force. Be sure to pull the handles as far apart as possible after each stroke.
- Continues this procedure until the rivet brakes and remaining part can be discarded because it has no use now.
Advantages of pop rivet
- Very light weighted
- Cheaper in price
- Durable in nature
- Used when there is a limited gap between metal
- Easy to install
- Vibration-proof assembly
Disadvantages of pop rivet
- It is difficult to remove once inserted
- Causes corrosion when the material of rivet and workpiece is different
- Required pop rivet gun for insertion
- More workforce
Application of pop rivet
Due to the high advantages of the pop rivet, they are having such a wide application. Mainly this rivet is used to make high-strength joints used in sheet metal and plastic. Later on, they are used in steel, copper, and aluminum.
- For attaching of nameplate and signature
- Woodworking industry
- For home appliances
- For ceiling decoration
- Industrial application
- Small electronics
- For hinges and hasp
Pop rivet is a strong, and lightweight fastener used to join metal using a hole. Pop rivet is also called a blind rivet.
What is a woodruff key & woodruff keyway?