What is Power Brushing?
Power brushing is a metal finishing process removes burrs, sharp edges, fins, paint, oxidations, scale, and minor weld defects from the manufactured component by using different high-speed revolving brushes. Typically, fiber wheels, wire-bristle, and Tampico are basic materials of the brush. The selection of the brush depends upon the type of material of the workpiece.
What is a power brush?
Power brushes consist of pieces of small diameter wires hold together closely to clean the surfaces of the various workpieces. During operation, each wire of the brush acts as a cutting tool. The selection of wire depends on the material of the workpiece. The surface finish of the workpiece depends on the speed, material, and position of the power brush. The operator can use these brushes manually or by using machines as per requirement.
Types of brushes for brushing
These brushes are available in various shapes like a tube, wheel, end, cup, pilot, encapsulated, and more.
Tube brushes are generally suitable for cleaning bores and cylinders. Frequently tube brushes using for cleaning ferrous, non-ferrous materials and hydraulic castings. Single spiral brushes are suitable for manual operation, and double spiral tube brushes are suitable for heavy-duty cleanings applications like power tools.
The materials of tube brush are carbon and stainless steel, nylon, and brass.
Wheel brushes are most commonly used for polishing, cleaning, and blending operations. These are made of crimped wires of carbon steel, stainless steel, and variants of brass. The selection of wire depends on the type of operation and workpiece material.
Knot wheels using for heavy-duty applications such as removing weld and welding defects, abrasives, and scale.
End brushes using for precision applications. These brushes are suitable for cleaning areas that are difficult to access. It gives a good finish and removes burrs from the workpiece or tools. End brushes are available in Knott and crimp configurations.
Cup brushes are suitable for heavy-duty applications and the cleaning of large surface areas. The filament of the brush touches the surface, and rotating motion makes it suitable for extensive surface treatment.
Fill materials for Power Brushing
- Wire- Generally, wires are using for heavy-duty applications in weld cleaning, burr removing, paint removing, and steam cleaning. Some materials are stainless steel, steel, non-ferrous metals, and brass.
- Brushes with nylon fill material- Suitable for precision work and to improve surface finish. It is using in deburring and edge removing operations.
Applicaations of Power Brushing
- Deburring- Due to carrying various operations on the workpiece, burrs form near the surface area of the workpiece. Power brushing removes these burrs and not creates any sharp edges.
- Surface finishing- It helps to remove abrasive particles that fall on the surface & give good surface finishing to the workpiece.
- Edge Blending- Power brushes make edges round without removing extra material from the surface. It helps to reduce stress concentration, fatigue and increases life. Roughening- After brushing, a rough surface gives good adhesion to paint and creates a bond on the surface of non-metal and rubber.